Botanical name:  Citrus x sinensis

Crown and root system:  This is an evergreen citrus tree with an intermediate crown.  It has a lateral, non-invasive root system.

Growing regions:  Most parts of the country, except for those areas with extreme temperatures – either hot or cold.

Ripening date:  Throughout the winter months; the exact date depends on the variety.

Planting in a container:  Not recommended.

Recommended planting season:  All year round.

Special care:  We recommend using Confidor as a preventive treatment in early spring, according to manufacturer’s instructions (the compound can be bought in any agricultural supply store).

Varieties sold in our nursery:
Navel (also known as Washington or Newhall): First variety to ripen in the season, between September and December.  It has a sweet flavor and is easy to peel.  A dimple at the end of the fruit, reminiscent of a navel, gives the fruit its name.
Navel blood orange (also known as Cara Cara):  With juice that turns red as it ripens.
Shamouti:  Ripens at the end of the season, it is very juicy but does not peel easily.  Therefore it is used primarily for juicing.
Blood orange (also known as Moro):  Ripens at the end of the season.  Its peel is reddish, giving the fruit its name.
French orange or François:  This is a very sweet orange, very juicy, with bright colored slices. 

Good to know:
Only 20% of all the oranges in the world are sold as whole fruit.  The remaining 80% are used for making juice.

    I am: